Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Thoreau Journal


"If I could, I would worship the pairings of my nails. I would fain improve every opportunity to wonder and worship, as a sunflower welcomes the light. The more thrilling, wonderful, divine objects I behold in a day, the more expanded and immortal I become." -Henry David Thoreau
I never saw the blue in the snow so bright, as this dark, damp stormy morning...suggesting that in darkest storms we may still have the hue of heaven in us- Henry David Thoreau

Thoreau always felt he was at peace in nature and exactly where he wanted to be and should be. The more he learned about nature, the more at peace he became with himself and the world around him. He realizes that even in the darkest of times there is always a small light that may symbolize that we are just a small part of the world and it's existence. "The hue of heaven", may still be in us, meaning there is still good in all of us, even though we may have been doing wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely put. I wonder why he uses the word "hue." There was a correspondence for Thoreau between ethics and nature. It is nice to read your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete